Robert Besser
26 Feb 2025, 15:26 GMT+10
LOS ANGELES, California: The Trump administration is once again challenging California's high-speed rail project, with federal transportation officials this week announcing a new investigation and probably taking back around US$4 billion in federal funding.
Voters first approved $10 billion in bonds for the rail project in 2008. The goal was to connect San Francisco and Los Angeles with a train ride of under three hours. Initially estimated to cost $33 billion and finish by 2020, the project has faced delays, rising costs, and funding problems.
Now, the focus is on a 171-mile stretch between Bakersfield and Merced in the Central Valley, which is expected to be running by 2033. Completing the entire route could now cost $106 billion and may take up to 20 more years if funding is available.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said officials would review whether the California High-Speed Rail Authority kept its funding promises. If not, the funds could be redirected to other infrastructure projects across the country.
In 2019, President Trump canceled nearly $1 billion in funding. The Biden administration later restored the funds and added $3.3 billion more in December 2023. Losing federal money now would be a major setback since the project relies on up to $8 billion in federal support to close its funding gap.
California Republican Congressman Kevin Kiley criticized the project, calling it "the worst public infrastructure failure in U.S. history." He introduced a bill to stop any more federal money from going to the project.
Despite these attacks, Ian Choudri, CEO of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, welcomed the investigation. He said all funds are appropriately accounted for and highlighted the creation of nearly 15,000 jobs and the completion of over 50 significant structures.
At the announcement in Los Angeles, protesters interrupted officials, chanting, "Build the rail!" Many Californians still support the project, according to Eli Lipmen from Move LA, who called the investigation a "sham."
Leaders from the Transportation Trades Department, representing U.S. rail unions, defended the project as the country's most ambitious transportation effort. They urged Trump to back high-speed rail and help bring modern, efficient train systems to America.
Get a daily dose of Entertainment Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Entertainment Sun.
More InformationSYDNEY, NSW, Australia - The Australian Labor Party has been swept to victory for a second term after defeating the Coalition in an...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: The U.S. State Department has started a second round of its deferred resignation program, according to an internal...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: U.S. President Donald Trump said this week that some fraud cases had been reported to the Justice Department based...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: This week, the Trump administration has approved an emergency rule that allows gas stations across the U.S....
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Major automobile companies want Congress to stop California's plan to ban the sale of gas-only cars by 2035—a rule...
Drones have struck a ship on a mission to highlight the halting of humanitarian aid to the blockaded Gaza Strip, triggering a fire....
Singapore's ruling party secures majority in general electionSingapore's ruling People's Action Party (PAP) has secured a simple majority...
Since March 15, the United States hasintensifiedits aerial campaign against Yemens Iran-backed Houthi rebels, claiming to have hit...
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], May 3 (ANI): Actor Sanjay Dutt took a trip down memory lane as he remembered his late mother, the legendary...
Washington [US], May 3 (ANI): The highly anticipated Thunderbolts movie had its grand premiere recently, bringing together some of...
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], May 3 (ANI): The inaugural edition of WAVES Bazaar, held from May 1 to May 3, 2025, in Mumbai, concluded...
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], May 3 (ANI): Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Dr L Murugan on Saturday commended...